Think Before the Speech: Mastering Details of Success
Publication Date: 2/2011
Source: SO01 Public Relations Tactics
Product Code: 6C-021103
Organization/Author/Firm: Sal Ivone
Specialization(s): Writing / Media Training / Media Relations
Please log in to MyPRSA to View or Purchase this item.
Preparing for your client’s speech requires both a strategic, comprehensive understanding of the factors involved and careful attention to detail. Here, Sal Ivone shares tips on how you can maximize opportunities and influence audiences.
Logistical check list
- Research the event for background and context: historical significance, milestones, VIPs.
- Understand the target audience.
- Ask the event organizers the five Ws.
- Focus on what people expect of your client.
- Evaluate media coverage.
- Build a relationship with your point of contact.
- Pay attention to the event venue: room layout, staging, AV capabilities.
- Test slides, videos and other supporting media.
- Review the event agenda regularly and be prepared to accommodate changes in speaker lineup or program sequence.