Job Title: Manager, Marketing & Communications
Job Summary: This position is responsible for assigned activities that support and promote positive customer relations, build business volume, promote community outreach and marketing/ communications initiatives of Memphis Goodwill. Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Director of Marketing & Communications, this position assists in activities that build Goodwill’s visibility in the community, and foster public awareness of Goodwill’s mission.
1. Social media: writes and manages messaging for website, Facebook, email blasts and other forms of web-based communications with Goodwill publics.
2. Media relations: develops story ideas and works with media for coverage that fosters internal/external knowledge of Goodwill mission, successes. Writes standard press releases and releases to media as assigned. Works in concert with Sr. Director in answering media inquiries.
3. Community relations: provides planning, set-up and staffing support for community events and special promotions with community partners. Events may include job fairs, business expos, sporting event promotions, tours of Goodwill facilities for visitors.
4. Store operations support: Provides marketing/promotional support for Goodwill stores and attended donation centers, including supervision of signage orders, promotional materials, needs for special promotional campaigns. Activities can include grand openings, recognition events, sales promotions, direct mail campaigns, etc.
5. Promotional marketing materials. Orders and picks up corporate materials, including name badges, door signs, awards, presentations, special art, signage and materials supporting store/ADC openings. Maintains positive working relations with vendors.
6. Presentation support. Write and/or develop written communications, such as Powerpoint presentations, letters, etc.
7. Tracking/monitoring. Provide consistent tracking and reporting on assigned initiatives, including media relations, website updates, etc.
8. Other marketing/communications duties as assigned.
1. Minimum five to seven (5-7) years of experience in the marketing and/or communications field, with proven track record of results.
2. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or closely related field of study and/or commensurate marketing/communications field experience.
3. Working knowledge of web-based strategies, with ability to maintain and update website, Facebook, email databases, etc.
4. Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
5. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
6. Self-starter who takes initiative to elevate the level of deliverables, and deliver high-quality results in timely manner.
7. Ability to work and interact positively with internal & external groups and individuals, maintaining a mature, professional and cooperative attitude.
8. Ability to work and interact with all levels of the organization (senior management to front-line employees), as well as dignitaries, officials and celebrities.
9. Commitment to maintaining discretion when dealing with confidential or sensitive information.
10. Flexibility in meeting project needs and requests for assistance. This includes ability to work flexible schedule, with occasional evening or weekend hours.
11. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.)
1. Walking, standing, pushing and lifting.
2. Ability to set up special exhibition materials (banners, small tables & chairs) and lift and/or move 20 pounds (usually marketing brochures and materials).
3. Ability to provide specific store assistance requiring measuring windows, doors, etc., for signage and special materials needs.
4. Subject to varying temperature changes (occasional outdoor events, etc.)
Obsidian Public Relations is seeking qualified applicants for an account executive opening in its Memphis office. The ideal candidate would be a current Memphis-- area resident with at least five years of experience in public relations. Agency experience preferred.
> Bachelor’s degree in public relations required
> Past agency experience (preferred)
> Ability to manage multiple projects and accounts in a fast--paced work environment
> Extensive knowledge and experience in strategic communication planning and execution
> Excellent writing skills (including proficiency in AP Style)
> Must be flexible, organized, detail--and deadline--oriented and able to work independently
> Experience in traditional and digital media relations (including media pitching in the Memphis area and nationally)
> Knowledge of and experience in creating/executing social media campaigns, blogs and other online campaigns
> Experience managing client vendor relationships (i.e. graphic designers, web designers, consultants, etc.)
> Ability to work with clients in a variety of industries (professional service firm experience a plus)
Send resume and writing samples Courtney Ellett, owner, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Obsidian PR – named Small Business of the Year in 2013 by the Memphis Business Journal – currently employs 15 professionals and was founded in 2006 by Courtney Ellett, a Memphis native. The public relations firm, with offices in
Memphis and Dallas, Texas, provides strategy and tactical deployment across the PR spectrum. Operating on a category-exclusive model, the firm represents clients from across numerous industries and service areas from professional service firms (like accounting, law, architecture and banking) to not-for-profit and startups. Obsidian clients include Southern College of Optometry, Gold Strike Casino Resort, MadisonHotel, Porter-Leath, ServiceMaster by Stratos, Kroger Delta Division and Cannon Wright Blount. For more information, please visit www.obsidianpr.com.
If you would like to list an open position with your company on our website, please email Jamie Coggins.