How to Network
Advice on how, where and when to network and building relationships with other public relations professionals.
- Volunteer in your target sector (e.g., a local nonprofit in an area that is of interest to you), or seek out an unpaid internship with a public relations agency or corporation.
- Identify kindred professionals who hold jobs similar to those you’re targeting, and ask to shadow them.
- Set up informational interviews at organizations that spark your interest.
- Ask interviewers to broker a meeting with the right person(s) and/or give you a referral to people with hiring authority.
- Always “Give to Get,” that is, call back to offer some value to your contact.
- Join PRSA and network though your local PRSA Chapter and other professional groups.