Job Writing Tips
Staffing Solutions With PRSA Jobcenter
A job posting should have the following:
- Summary — First five lines of the ad must have:
- A powerful compelling statement of why it’s a “dream job.”
- Why this employer is a “dream” employer.
- Quantitative statement about salary.
- Compelling statement about the organization’s commitment to privacy. Personal privacy guaranteed.
- Advantages — WIIFT (What’s in it for them). Answer the following:
- What do I get to do?
- What do I get to learn?
- What do I get to accomplish?
- Who will I work with?
- Talk about requirements and responsibilities using headlines and bullets.
- Benefits — Describe benefits that are important to the pool of targeted candidates. (e.g., entry-level tuition assistance).
- Capabilities — Be sure to describe the characteristics and capabilities that enable candidates to succeed at your organization. What resources does the organizaton make available to candidates to help them succeed?
- Call to Action — Urge candidates to take one of three actions:
- Apply for job.
- Pass the position on (referral).
- Stay in touch.
Reprinted with permission from WEDDLE’s LLC. Peter Weddle is the author or editor of more than two dozen books, including "The Career Activist Republic," "Work Strong: Your Personal Career Fitness System" and WEDDLE’s 2011/12 Guide to Employment Sites on the Internet. Order them at Amazon.com.