The Public Relations Society of America (“PRSA”, “we”, “our”) owns and operates multifaceted websites, including prsa.org and prssa.org that allow members and other interested parties to communicate with each other, view news and information, and purchase services.
We welcome any questions you may have, which may be directed to email@example.com.
- Acknowledgement and Acceptance of TOU and Usage Policies
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Acceptable Use of prsa.org
- Restricted Access Portion of Websites
- Disclaimer of Warranties and Liability
- Links to Other Sites
- Law and Jurisdiction
- Privacy Notice
- Information Collection, Use and Sharing
- Access To and Control Over Your Information
- Responsibility for Use
- User Obligations
- Right to Use
- No Prescreening of Postings
- Limitation of Liability
Where it is necessary for you as a user to provide information about yourself, such as when registering to access restricted access portions of a site, or to post a comment on PRSA Blogs or MyPRSA Online Discussion Forums, you agree to (a) provide accurate, complete and current information as prompted by PRSA, including, without limitation, when providing information through the PRSA membership form or when creating a MyPRSA Online Discussion Forums account online, and (b) to notify PRSA of any change in or to such information, including, without limitation, your name, email address, street address, telephone number and billing information. If you fail to do so, we reserve the right to terminate your account. You must use your real name at all times when using PRSA Blogs, MyPRSA Online Discussion Forums, and when posting comments to articles.
All copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on prsa.org, prssa.org or other PRSA website and all content (including any applications) located on these sites, shall remain the sole property of PRSA or its licensors. Unless otherwise agreed upon, if you submit content for publication on the PRSA websites, including comments or commentary for PRSA Blogs, MyPRSA Online Discussion Forums or comments posted to PRSA articles, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free and nonexclusive license to reproduce, excerpt, adapt and publish the content.
Content on the PRSA websites may not be used in any commercial manner without the prior written consent of PRSA.
Unless you are the owner of the content, or have our permission, you must not reproduce, republish, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on PRSA’s websites in any way except for your own personal, noncommercial use. You may also reproduce Web addresses for linking purposes.
PRSA’s websites and related content is Copyright © 2007-2014, Public Relations Society of America. All rights reserved.
For permission to reprint materials from PRSA’s websites, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You agree to use PRSA’s websites only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe on the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use of the sites.
You may not use the content PRSA websites for any marketing related purpose without our express written consent.
We have restricted access to certain areas of our websites, primarily to limit access to PRSA and PRSSA members only. We may, in the future, need to restrict access to additional parts (or all) of our websites and reserve full rights to do so. At this time, there is no additional and separate fee for access to restricted areas of PRSA websites, and unless otherwise granted, access is provided as long as your membership dues are paid current and up-to-date, and you are in compliance with the TOU and Usage Policies.
If we provide you with a username and password for you to access restricted areas of our websites, you must ensure that both your username and password are kept confidential, and you may not share your logon password and username with others. Materials, resources and information provided under restricted-access areas of our websites are made available solely for the use of our members and other designated users and may not be provided by you to parties not authorized by PRSA.
The Public Relations Society of America websites are provided as is and as available, without warranty of any kind. The Public Relations Society of America expressly disclaims any and all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to:
- Any warranties as to the availability, accuracy, completeness, currentness or reliability of the content available through the service, or the service itself.
- Any warranties that the service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error free, or that software defects will be corrected.
- Warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement.
You acknowledge and agree that any material and/or data downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of PRSA websites is done at your own discretion and risk, and that you will be solely responsible for any damages to your computer system or loss of data that result from the download of such material and/or data.
No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the PRSA websites, shall create any warranty not expressly made herein.
PRSA, its officers, directors, owners, agents and employees, shall not be liable to you or anyone else for any loss or injury resulting from use of PRSA websites, including, without limitation, when caused in whole or in part by contingencies beyond its control. In no event will PRSA, its officers, directors, owners, agents and employees, be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on such content. Moreover, PRSA, its officers, directors, owners, agents and employees, shall not be liable to you or anyone else for any consequential, special, incidental, indirect or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages, resulting from the use or the inability to use the sites. You agree that the liability of PRSA, if any, arising out of any kind of legal claim (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) in any way connected with PRSA websites shall not exceed the amount you paid PRSA for the use of the websites.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you.
PRSA, at its sole discretion, or other end users, may provide links to other sites on the World Wide Web for your convenience in locating related information, products and services. These sites have not necessarily been reviewed by PRSA and are maintained by third parties over which PRSA exercises no control. Accordingly, PRSA expressly disclaims any responsibility for the content, the materials, the accuracy of the information and/or quality of the products or services provided by, available through or advertised on these third party websites. Moreover, these links do not imply an endorsement by PRSA with respect to any third party or any website, or the products or services provided by any third party.
PRSA may change these terms from time to time, and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of PRSA’s websites will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you should cease using our websites immediately.
If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of New York, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.
You agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the sites must commence within one (1) year after the cause of action arose; otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the websites, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
PRSA believes in the privacy of member and nonmember users of its websites and is committed to the responsible use of any information provided online. At the same time, however, your expectations of privacy regarding use of the sites should vary according to the portion of the sites you are using. For example, by their very nature, PRSA Blogs and MyPRSA Discussion Forums are public forums. As a result, you have no proprietary interest and no reasonable expectation of privacy while using PRSA Blogs and MyPRSA Discussion Forums, or while posting comments to PRSA articles.
In order to use some parts of our websites, a user must first complete a registration form. During registration, a user is required to give certain information (such as name and email address). This information is used to contact you about the products/services on our sites in which you have expressed interest. At your option, you may also provide demographic information (such as gender or age) about yourself, but it is not required. We may use a combination of demographic data that you have supplied us, along with information from your interactions with our emails to you and with our website, to improve the Society and the websites by adding new products and services, or by tailoring our communications to you to better reflect your preferences and patterns.
We use “cookies” on our sites. A cookie is a piece of data stored on a site visitor’s hard drive to help us improve your access to our sites and identify repeat visitors to our sites. For instance, when we use a cookie to identify you, you would not have to log in a password more than once, thereby saving time while on our sites. Cookies can also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our sites. Usage of a cookie specifically identifies you to us if you are in our database and can help us better communicate with you in a more targeted manner.
From time to time our sites request information via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary, and you may choose whether or not to participate and therefore disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address) and demographic information (such as zip code, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of our sites.
PRSA sometimes partners with other parties to provide specific services. When the user signs up for these services, we will share names or other information that is necessary for the third party to provide these services. These parties are not allowed to use personally identifiable information except for the purpose of providing these services.
Unless otherwise indicated, PRSA is the sole owner of the information collected on our sites. PRSA retains the right to make member contact information available to responsible third parties for one-time mailing use only. Business or personal telephone numbers or email addresses are not made available to third parties without your express permission, and we will not sell or rent this information to anyone. If you do not wish to have your addresses made available to third parties, please notify us by emailing email@example.com.
PRSA reserves the right to use and disclose information about sites usage and demographics in forms and formats that do not reveal subscriber’s names, addresses or phone numbers.
Finally, PRSA may also use information from sites activity in accordance with security policies, as set forth elsewhere in this document.
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (212) 460-1400:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We encourage you to self-manage your own email preferences by visiting www.prsa.org/emailprefs.
As we have noted above, our websites contain links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our sites and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via our websites, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your Web browser or by looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of the Web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
PRSA considers searches of our websites, searches of our member directory, and electronic transmissions and communications made through PRSA websites as PRSA’s own records, and PRSA may therefore obtain access to, intercept, disclose and review those transmissions at any time. Moreover, actual or attempted unauthorized use of PRSA websites may violate PRSA’s employment policies and/or result in criminal and/or civil prosecution, including, without limitation, punishment under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986. PRSA also reserves the right to view, monitor and record activity on PRSA websites without notice or permission from you.
Any information obtained by monitoring, reviewing or recording is subject to review by law enforcement organizations in connection with investigation or prosecution of possible criminal activity on PRSA websites. PRSA will also comply with all court orders involving requests for such information. In addition to the foregoing, PRSA reserves the right to, at any time and without notice, modify, suspend, terminate or interrupt operation of or access to PRSA websites, or any portion of PRSA websites, for any reason.
When you access and/or use PRSA Blogs, you acknowledge that you have agreed to abide and be bound by the conditions set forth in the TOU and Usage Policies. PRSA reserves the right to alter PRSA Blogs and/or the TOU and Usage Policies without notice. Your continued use of PRSA Blogs, following any change(s), will be conclusively deemed as your acceptance of any change to PRSA Blogs and/or the TOU and Usage Policies. Please familiarize yourself with these TOU and Usage Policies and review them on a periodic basis.
At all times, you agree to conduct your activities on PRSA Blogs in a professional, responsible and business-like manner, and in accordance with PRSA’s TOU and Usage Policies. Violation of these TOU and Usage Policies may entitle PRSA to additional legal remedies in addition to the remedies set forth within the TOU and Usage Policies themselves.
By installing, accessing or using PRSA Blogs, you represent that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age and will, at all times, provide true, accurate, current and complete information when submitting information or materials on PRSA Blogs. If you provide any false, inaccurate, untrue or incomplete information, PRSA reserves the right to terminate your access and use of PRSA Blogs and/or to remove any of your postings (as defined below) to PRSA Blogs. In addition, you agree to abide by all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations with respect to your use of PRSA Blogs. You also acknowledge and agree that use of the Internet and PRSA Blogs is solely at your own risk. Accordingly, you should understand that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from PRSA Blogs over the Internet or other global communication network cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly, PRSA is not responsible for the security of any information transmitted via the Internet, the accuracy of the information contained on PRSA Blogs or for the consequences of any reliance on such information. You must make your own determination as to these issues.
PRSA Blogs is provided by PRSA as a resource for you and to further the purposes of PRSA. Access to and use of PRSA Blogs is therefore limited to discussing matters related to or arising out of the public relations, communications and marketing industries/professions. You may print and download materials and information from this site solely in connection with your employment responsibilities and/or for personal use, provided that all hard copies contain all copyright and other applicable notices contained in such materials and information. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not modify, distribute, publish, remove or alter any proprietary notices or labels, transfer, exploit or otherwise use materials and information from this site in any manner not expressly permitted herein.
PRSA Blogs provides the opportunity to share knowledge and post other helpful or meaningful information. By submitting content or information of any type (postings) to PRSA Blogs, or by otherwise using PRSA Blogs to transmit or display a posting, you automatically grant PRSA a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, perform and display such content or information (in whole or in part) worldwide, and/or to incorporate into other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in such content or information. You also acknowledge that such submissions are nonconfidential for all purposes. Moreover, you agree that you will not post or transmit any of the following materials on PRSA Blogs:
- Anything that interferes with or disrupts PRSA Blogs or the operation thereof.
- Statements or materials that defame, harass, abuse, stalk, threaten or in any way infringe on the rights of others.
- Unauthorized copyrighted materials or any other materials that infringe on the intellectual property rights, trade secrets or privacy of another.
- Statements or materials that violate other contractual or fiduciary rights, duties or agreements.
- Statements or materials that encourage criminal conduct or that would give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any law or regulation in any jurisdiction.
- Statements or materials that contains vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable language or images that typically would not be considered socially or professionally responsible or appropriate in person.
- Statements or materials that impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, including employees and representatives of PRSA.
- Statements made anonymously or under a pseudonym.
- Anything that violates the public or private rights of any other person.
- Statements or materials that are off-topic, irrelevant or inappropriate for the purposes of PRSA Blog.
- Statements or materials that constitute junk mail, spam or unauthorized advertising or promotional materials.
- Files that contain malicious code, viruses, corrupted files or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer, network or this site.
As PRSA Blogs is generally public, the user experience is enhanced if you use netiquette, are succinct and stay on topic, and respect others and their opinions. PRSA encourages open and sincere communication, but urges all users to remember that PRSA Blogs is intended to be a resource for all.
In no event shall PRSA be liable for any indirect, punitive, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of or in any way connected with the use of PRSA Blogs, or with the delay or inability to use PRSA Blogs, or for any information, services, programs, products and materials available through or identified on PRSA Blogs, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
PRSA websites contain online discussion forums, currently in the form of MyPRSA Online Discussion Forums (MyPRSA Forums) which are presently offered as electronic message boards for the exchange of information and for discussion among the participants. Through MyPRSA Forums, participants gain access to the expertise, opinions and/or experience of other public relations professionals and communicators, with quick exchanges of information and contacts, as well as more in-depth discussions of topics.
- That you are above the legal age to enter into a legally enforceable contract.
- Not to use MyPRSA Forums for illegal purposes or for the transmission of material that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, tortuous, improper or otherwise objectionable, or that infringes on or may infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of another.
- Not to use MyPRSA Forums for the transmission of junk mail, spam, chain letters or unsolicited mass distribution of email.
- Not to use the listserv for promotion of commercial products and services, or for solicitation of any kind.
- That use of the MyPRSA Forums is for users authorized by PRSA, and you will not share your access information with parties not authorized by PRSA.
MyPRSA Forums includes information, views, opinions and recommendations of individuals and organizations of interest to the public relations community. Users’ activity in MyPRSA Forums must comply with the PRSA Code of Ethics, which may be found at www.prsa.org/AboutPRSA/Ethics/CodeEnglish/.
Users grant PRSA the no-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual right and license to use, display, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, and transmit the content and materials provided by users for use on MyPRSA Forums. PRSA assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, currency, completeness or usefulness of information in any material on MyPRSA Forums and it does not endorse any opinions or recommendations posted by subscribers. You should exercise discretion and skepticism before relying on information in messages, because it may be incorrect or misleading.
- Using MyPRSA Forums for illegal purposes or for the transmission of material that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, tortuous or otherwise objectionable.
- Posting or transmitting third-party copyrighted information without the permission of the copyright owner or in any way infringing on the intellectual property rights, contractual or fiduciary rights of others.
- Providing false information on your membership form or in your MyPRSA Forums profile, or impersonating someone else.
- Using MyPRSA Forums for the transmission of junk mail, spam, chain letters or unsolicited mass distribution of email, or the transmission of harmful code, viruses or corrupted files.
- Posting improper, commercial or off-topic messages.
You agree that you are responsible for all statements made, and acts or omissions that occur, with your access. PRSA reserves the right to access and disclose any information, including user names of accounts and other information, to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests, to operate its systems properly or to protect itself or its MyPRSA Forums.
You have no rights to the proprietary software and related documentation, or any enhancements or modifications thereto, provided to you to access MyPRSA Forums or send messages to the discussion list. You may not sublicense, assign or transfer any licenses granted by PRSA, and any attempt at such sublicense, assignment or transfer is void. You may not copy, distribute, modify, reverse engineer or create derivative works from Access Software. You acknowledge and agree that PRSA and/or its licensors own all right, title, and interest in and to the software and related documentation, and any enhancements or modifications thereto, and that PRSA reserves all rights not expressly granted herein.
- Discontinue use of the MyPRSA Forums.
- Terminate MyPRSA Forums access.
PRSA maintains an online membership directory exclusively for the personal, noncommercial use of PRSA members for their own information and informal communications. This means that PRSA members may use this contact information for networking and other purposes related to their own career development and advancement. The information may not be used for mass mailings, for purposes of solicitation, for the conduct of research, or for other such purposes that are not directly associated with a members’ career development.
PRSA may make website Widgets available to display or solicit content on websites. By accessing and using any Widget (including copying any Widget html code), you agree to be bound by the following:
- Widgets may only be displayed on websites owned and operated by PRSA or related entities, such as Chapters, Districts, affiliates and partners, and not in any other manner or in any other medium.
- Widgets may not be modified. Without limitation, you may not change any code provided by PRSA, obscure or disable any element of any Widget, tag links to PRSA from the Widget with a “nofollow” attribute or otherwise prevent or discourage search engines from following or scoring link.
- Widgets must be placed on a page that is context-appropriate to the content of the Widget.
- Widgets may not be placed on any site that contains any content that is in any way unlawful, harmful, obscene, harassing, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable. Additionally, the Widget may not be placed on any site that, in the opinion of PRSA, disparages PRSA or its volunteers or members, infringes any PRSA intellectual property or other rights, or violates any applicable law.
- PRSA grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revocable right to download/display the Widget solely in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and solely in connection with the Widget, to use our logos, trademarks, trade names and other intellectual property contained in the Widget. This Agreement does not grant you any right in any code, content, logos or trademarks beyond the limited permission to display the Widget granted herein.
- PRSA reserves the right at any time to terminate or modify your permission to display its Widgets. The Widgets are subject to change from time to time in our sole discretion. We may cease to return content from the Widget at any time at our sole discretion.
- PRSA may periodically review how the Widget is being used to confirm compliance with this Agreement.
- The Widget and any information, software, and related services are provided “as is” with no warranty, and PRSA expressly disclaims any warranties that may be expressed or implied by law regarding any Widget, including warranties of accuracy or non-infringement. Use of Widgets is at your own risk.
- PRSA reserves the right to change this Agreement in its sole discretion at any time without notice, and you are responsible for regularly reviewing this Agreement. Your continued use of any Widget after the effective date of such changes will constitute acceptance of, and agreement to, any such changes.