Having a PRSSA Chapter on your campus enhances your classroom experience by giving you access to leadership opportunities, professional development and PRSSA news. You become part of a national network of public relations students, educators and professionals.
If you are interested in starting a Chapter, review the guidelines below and the charter application form (Word or PDF) to see if your school is eligible. Contact PRSSA Headquarters if you have questions.
- School Requirements – To be eligible, your school must be a four-year college or university that offers baccalaureate degrees and is nationally or regionally accredited.
- Required Courses – Confirm that your college or university offers a sequence of at least five public relations courses and is supplemented by additional courses relevant to public relations. See the charter application form (Word or PDF) for the list of specific required courses.
- Endorsement – Secure endorsement from a PRSA sponsor Chapter. You can find contact information for these Chapters on the PRSA website.
- Students – Find 10 or more students who will join your new PRSSA Chapter. Eight of the students must be at or below the junior level.
- Faculty Adviser – Every Chapter must have a Faculty Adviser. The Adviser must teach one of the approved public relations courses and be a member or associate member of PRSA.
- Professional Adviser – Every Chapter also must have a Professional Adviser who has at least five years of public relations experience and is a PRSA member.
- Application Fee – Send a $100 nonrefundable application fee with your application.
One required element of the Chapter charter application process is a draft of proposed Chapter bylaws. These bylaws should follow the example of the PRSSA National Bylaws but be specific to the individual Chapter operations. Use the Chapter Template Bylaws as a guide when drafting your Chapter’s proposed bylaws.
Any time your Chapter reviews and updates these bylaws, please submit them to the PRSSA National Committee for approval.
Submitting an Application
To apply, schools must submit the following, printed one side, without staples:
- Two copies of the completed application and proposed bylaws.
- Two copies of each syllabus for the required public relations courses.
- Two copies of the teacher biographies.
- The college/university catalogue online.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $100, payable to PRSSA.
If your school meets all the criteria, mail the completed charter application form to:
PRSSA Charter Applications
120 Wall Street, 21st Fl.
New York, NY 10005-4024