Bateman Case Study Competition
Enhance Your Education
The Bateman Case Study Competition is PRSSA’s premier national case study competition for public relations students and gives you an opportunity to apply your classroom education and internship experiences to create and implement a full public relations campaign.
First established as the National Case Study in 1973 and later renamed to honor the late J. Carroll Bateman, APR, it challenges teams of students to research, plan, implement and evaluate a public relations campaign for an actual client. More than 75 teams enter the competition each year, giving students real-world experience that can translate to résumé additions, portfolio pieces and even jobs. After an extensive judging process, three finalists are chosen to present their campaigns to the sponsor, who receives the right to ideas presented. If your company is interested in enhancing the educational experience of public relations students while also benefitting from their hard work, knowledge and resources, find out more about becoming a Competition sponsor.
- 2023 Memo
- 2023 Timeline
- 2023 Rules and Guidelines
- 2023 Project Brief
- Intent-to-Enter Form Deadline: Monday, Nov. 21
Gain some background information by listening to the free recordings of the three-part webinar series, Are You as News Literate as You Can Be?
- Part I, Recognizing News and Differentiating It From Other Types of Information.
- Part II, Learning a Critical Approach to News Media Bias.
- Part III, Understanding Misinformation and Motivations Behind How It Spreads
Whether you are new to the competition or have participated before, review these past campaigns to see the creativity, thoroughness and strategic thinking that go into winning campaigns each year.
Each year, more than 60 student teams at colleges and universities nationwide compete in the Bateman Case Study Competition. With guidance from advisers, each team researches, plans and executes a public relations campaign in its community for the client, which receives rights to the campaign ideas presented.
As the Bateman Competition client and sponsor, you provide an outstanding educational experience for students — but good will certainly isn’t the only benefit of the sponsorship.
- Local Touch; National Reach. As the competition sponsor, your cause is advocated in various locations nationwide through campaigns tailored to fit each community’s unique demographics and values. You also receive the research findings that support these campaigns.
- Social Media Immersion. Students, immersed in new technology, are able to confidently apply social media strategies to support your cause.
- Creativity of Youth. The effective creativity of the student campaigns have been a highlight of the competition every year. As a sponsor, you receive a copy of every entry and rights to use in part or entirety all ideas submitted.
- Insight of Experience. Each student team has at least one Professional and one Faculty Adviser, who help ground each campaign in the principles of strategic public relations.
- Nationwide Media Coverage. As the Bateman competition sponsor, you have multiple public relations teams pitching targeted stories about your cause to their local media.
Become a Sponsor
The first step to sponsoring the Bateman Case Study Competition is to contact Jeneen Garcia at email@example.com to discuss the program.