Working Toward a More Diverse Profession
While the practice of public relations in the United States has undergone dramatic changes, a lack of diversity in the communications profession persists. Many studies indicate that the industry still struggles to attract young black, Asian and Hispanic professionals to pursue public relations as their career of choice.
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee is devoted to building consciousness by increasing visibility of D&I standards, resources and best practices for racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation and gender differences, as well as diverse skill sets, mindsets and cultures at all levels of the organization.
The D&I Committee commends PR firms and organizations that have established more diverse workplace environments, and those that have established management programs to help minority groups and LGBT practitioners move up the corporate ladder.
Also, the D&I Committee works closely with the PRSA Foundation, which helps drive diversity within public relations by funding numerous research initiatives for underserved populations, PR firms and employees.
Unleashing the Power of Connection: PRSA’s New Affinity Groups
January 25, 2022 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Learn about the PRSA National D&I Committee’s new Affinity Groups by attending this Diverse Dialogues webinar. The first two groups – Black Voices Affinity Group and LatinX Affinity Group – will begin operations in 2022, with others to follow.
Hear a distinguished panel discuss how Affinity Groups will:
- Convene like-minded members to strengthen connections, inspire ideas and build relationships.
- Advance personal member growth, professional advancement and overall well-being.
- Attract new members to PRSA through building awareness of PRSA’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.
- Develop and retain PR professionals who are also members of under-represented groups including, but not limited to, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous Persons of Color), LatinX (Hispanic and Latino), LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Plus), Veterans, Disabled, and others.
- Will roll out over a multi-year period, with two groups in 2022: Black Voices and LatinX; other groups TBD.
Anita Ford Saunders, APR, co-chair, PRSA National D&I Committee
Thomas Bennett III, VP Business Development, OCHIN
Sabrina Browne, VP Corporate, BCW Global
Andrea Gils, Marketing Director, JacobsEye Marketing
Jaron Terry, MS, APR, Fellow PRSA, co-chair, PRSA National D&I Committee
PRSA Diversity & Inclusion Month
D. Parke Gibson Award
The D. Parke Gibson Award is PRSA’s highest individual award presented to a public relations professional that has contributed to the increased awareness of public relations within multicultural communities and participated in the promotion of issues
that meet the special informational and educational needs of these diverse communities.
The deadline for nominations is July 22, 2022.
Chapter Diversity Awards
The PRSA Diversity & Inclusion Committee will award up to two PRSA Chapters with a Chapter Diversity Award. The awards are given to Chapters that embody and demonstrate key values in diversity and inclusion, and that contribute to advancing diversity as shown by submissions of their best practices and/or case studies. These awards recognize their local efforts, as well as provide further support for continued achievements at the Chapter level.
Applications for 2022 are now open! The deadline is Sept. 9.
Diversity Tool Kit
The D&I Toolkit provides members with diversity-related research, materials, applicable tools and professional development opportunities.
Its creation rests on two objectives:
- To educate members by providing them with the resources they need to help them manage the diversity and inclusion initiatives of their own Chapters, Districts and Sections
- To influence the composition of their professional development and membership so that the diversity of its membership reflects and embraces the diversity of the profession
Foundation programs focus on three pillars: Industry best practices, mentorship imperative and career catalyst.Donate Now