The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) has begun its annual process of recruiting candidates for the 2020 National Board of Directors.
PRSA encourages dedicated members to apply for available PRSA board leadership positions. Serving on PRSA’s Board of Directors is a prominent leadership opportunity, not only within PRSA but within the entire public relations and communication profession. We seek candidates with qualifications and characteristics such as proven leadership skills and professional accomplishments, and diversity of practice sectors such as agency, corporate, nonprofit, government, military and academia.
Desirable Skills and Characteristics
All candidates should be outstanding in their ethical conduct, their participation in and commitment to PRSA, and their professional achievements and recognition. Desirable characteristics of each candidate include:
- Leadership experience with other related organizations.
- In-depth knowledge of the profession.
- Experience in providing strategic direction, management, collaboration, team building and fiscal planning.
- Ability to differentiate between association and professional issues.
- Good social and presentation skills.
- An ability to facilitate productive conflict resolution and consensus building.
- An understanding of board, member and staff interrelationships.
- Meeting management and facilitation skills.
- Self-confidence with internal and external audiences.
- An understanding of the difference between governance and operational issues and responsibilities.
Submission deadline for officer and director applications is Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
- In-person officer interviews with the PRSA Board of Directors will take place on Saturday, June 9, in New York City.
- Travel Stipend: To ensure all candidates have equal opportunity to participate in the nominating process, PRSA provides a travel stipend to non-sitting board candidates seeking executive officer positions that includes one night of hotel and up to $650 for travel
- If a candidate is not selected for any of the open 2020 officer positions, their application will be given to the Nominating Committee for consideration for one of the open director positions, as long as they indicated on the application their willingness to be considered for one of the open director positions for which they qualify. This person would then be interviewed via video conference by the Nominating Committee along with all the other director applicants.
- Director applicant video interviews with the Nominating Committee will take place Saturday, June 22–Sunday, June 23.